Wednesday 14 June 2017

Tom Wilson III


Below: "A single line of teeth like the tops of a mountain range is a section of a fallow deer  lower jaw."

Tom Wilson is a friend of mine from my days studying at Edinburgh College of Art. He has always had a fascination and passion for nature and wildlife and his practice has been to draw, paint and photograph his findings. Recently he started taking plaster casts to document his specimens, and lately his attentions have focused upon teeth.
 "I have collected a whole range of teeth, as part of my skull and natural found objects collection; deer jaws and teeth of cattle and sheep. I have sawn teeth in half so that children can see how they  are made and I have rare teeth, a woolly mammoth  and a cave bear tooth, with badger, fox and other predators. The collection of objects that I have built up includes objects which have been chewed and eaten, from hazel nuts by mice n voles, to trees gnawn by beavers and bark stripped by deer and I used these to create small plaster  casts. Together the collection enables you to have an insight into how animals live and behave and using the plaster then develops these insights into finished art pieces." Thomas Wilson


Above and below: casts from apples gnawed by rabbits.
Below: Cave Bear Tooth.

1 comment: